Night sky experience in Observatory for 2
Gold tier Dark Sky Park
Guidance from Resident Astronomer
Fantastic gift idea
The astronomer Carl Sagan once said, ‘We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe.’
Start searching the universe for more desirable lodgings on this Big Deal with the Scottish Dark Sky Observatory.
Occupying a fantastic hilltop site on the edge of the Galloway Forest Dark Sky Park, the Scottish Dark Sky Observatory sits under some of the darkest skies in the UK and has two large telescopes through which to observe the night sky.
Gold tier Dark Sky Park
- It is the only publicly accessible research-grade astronomical observatory in Scotland to be located in a gold tier Dark Sky Park, one of only two in the UK.
- Available Monday to Friday, this offer is for two people to enjoy a night sky experience in the Observatory.
- Your visit will include an introductory presentation, followed by a tour of the facility and guided use of the telescopes, all hosted by the Resident Astronomer.
Stars and planets
- If the night is clear, you’ll spend time observing the night sky, viewing with both the naked eye and using the powerful telescopes, as the Resident Astronomer points out stars, planets and constellations.
- There may also be time for further indoor astronomy presentations, particularly if the weather is bad.
- Lasting around 90 minutes, or possibly slightly longer if it’s a completely clear night, you’re sure to have a fantastic experience, even if the weather isn’t completely on your side.
- So get out to one of Scotland’s most incredible landscapes and look up to see the magic!
The Observatory has attracted lots of enthusiastic reviews on TripAdvisor:
‘Fantastic experience. Wow! What a great evening. The astronomer was great even though weather was poor. We saw Jupiter, Venus and Saturn as well as two stars and a cluster… I learned so much and would like to return. Yes, the road is an adventure but that all adds to the experience – the new signs do help… This is a must for anyone interested in astronomy.’
Valid from 11.01.21 until 30.04.21.
Bookings must be made by 17.04.21 at latest or risk forfeit of purchase.
Available Monday to Friday only. Start time will be confirmed at booking.
Unavailable on the following dates:
2nd, 5th Apr.
The Big Deal is for 2 adults to have entry to a night sky experience at Observatory.
Children welcome – discounted rate of £8 per child payable directly to Observatory.
Must be pre-booked and paid due to limited capacity.
Advance booking required by email.
7 day cancellation notice period on all bookings. Failure to provide sufficient notice may forfeit purchase.
Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
Not valid for guest speaker events or special events for which a higher entry fee applies, such as Christmas lecture.
Stargazing subject to weather conditions – an alternative programme is offered in the event of inclement/cloudy weather.
No laser pointers permitted.
Torches used at the observatory must have red filters and dim (during observing sessions).
The road to the observatory is rough, unfinished and steep in places. While it is easily passable with ordinary vehicles, care must be taken. All vehicles are brought on to the site at your own risk. Follow written driving directions provided at the time of booking. Guests are strongly advised not to use a sat-nav as it can be inaccurate.
Multiple purchases permitted.
Subject to availability. The beginning and end of validity period is often busiest. Please book early to avoid disappointment.
Images used for illustrative purposes only.
Verified using our offer partner’s pricing on 28.10.20.
Please refer to our T&Cs for full information.