Want to get a warm, summer glow without spending hours in the sun? If you love the tanned look but don’t have time to lay in the sun for hours on end, or if you prefer to avoid nosy neighbours and/or potentially dangerous rays, a tanning salon may be the best option for you.
What to Expect at the Tanning Salon
Tanning is a simple process that can be relaxing and enjoyable. When you arrive at the tanning salon for the first time, be prepared to answer a lot of health questions to ensure your safety. An employee will most likely be shown around the premises and explain the process to you in detail.
There are two types of tanning offered in spas and tanning salons:
- Tanning beds: Containing dozens of special UV light bulbs, tanning beds wash your body with UV-A and UV-B rays, which mimic the way natural sunlight affects the skin. Tanning beds may be horizontal, requiring you to lie down in them, or upright in the shape of a cylinder to provide the most even tan.
- Spray tan: For those who prefer to avoid UV radiation, it’s still possible to great a fabulous tan with spray tan salon treatments. Spray tans use a chemical called DHA, which reacts with dead cells on the surface of the skin to safely darken the skin’s surface colour.
Preparing for Your Tanning Salon Appointment
To ensure a golden, even tan, there are a few steps you should take in the weeks before and on the day of your tanning appointment:
- Exfoliate. Clearing away old, dead skin cells by exfoliating regularly will ensure a strong, even tan. Ideally, you should exfoliate every day for two to three weeks before your tanning appointment, using a gentle scrub that won’t scratch the skin.
- Moisturise. Dry skin won’t hold a tan, so make sure your skin is soft and hydrated in the weeks before you go to the tanning salon.
- Don’t wear makeup, deodorant, or perfume on the day that you go to the tanning salon, since they can interfere with an even tan.
- Bring comfortable clothing (for after your tanning salon appointment) and a bikini or other swimsuit if you prefer not to tan in the nude.
Tanning is an easy, relaxing way to get ready for summer. If you’re interested in finding a great tanning salon, or for more information about tanning, visit 5pm’s comprehensive beauty salon and spa listings today.