Massage is one of the oldest healing arts known to humanity, dating back thousands of years and found all over the world. A therapeutic technique based on touch, it can relieve pain, ease soreness and tension, and aid in relaxation. If you’re searching for a way to improve your health and achieve greater relaxation, massage therapists and health spas that offer massage therapy are a good place to start.
What is Massage Therapy?
Massage is a bodywork technique based on the application of pressure, rubbing, and gentle touch to relieve tension and improve muscle strength and movement. There are over 250 documented types of massage that play a role in the healing techniques of cultures from all over the world. Records of massage therapy have been found in 3,000-year-old Chinese texts, as well as ancient Hindu, Egyptian, Persian, and Indian records.
A massage therapist is not considered a medical practitioner, so your masseuse won’t be able to diagnose or officially “treat” any type of illness or disease. But research has found that health massage can offer a wide variety of benefits, including:
- Greater ease of movement and improved structural balance
- More energy and stronger immunity
- Improvement in a wide variety of conditions and problems, including back pain, arthritis, fatigue, high blood pressure, infertility, depression, and more
Types of Massage
With so many different massage schools, massage therapists, and types of massage, it can be hard to choose where to have yours performed. Which massage is best for your needs? Some of the most popular types include:
- Relaxation Massage: The gentlest and most relaxing type of massage, this is intended to relieve tension and ease muscle aches and soreness, leaving you feeling refreshed and renewed. Some people even fall asleep during this treatment.
- Health Massage: This therapeutic massage improves health and vitality, and is often used to relieve symptoms of chronic conditions.
- Thai Massage: The massage therapist uses your own body weight to stretch, pull, and invigorate your muscles, tendons, and joints.
- Hot Stone Massage: Heated stones are used to add soothing, relaxing warmth during the massage.
Isn’t it time to treat yourself to the world’s most ancient relaxation and healing techniques? Learn more about massage therapy and local massage therapists on 5pm.co.uk